does the float session work
The tank is about the size of a queen size bed. It has a
lightweight, self supporting door, which is easily opened and closed from
You let yourself in and out of the tank
- The tank is designed to block out all light and sound, so that
you are cocooned in warm, silent, darkness while
- Inside the tank is about 30cm of water, which is heated to
your external skin temperature 34.2 degrees. (At this temperature, most people
begin to lose perspective of where their body ends and the water starts.)
The water creates a gravity free environment for
- Dissolved in the water is about 500kg of Magnesium Sulphate
(Epson salts). The salt makes the water so dense that when you lie back in it,
you are pushed to the surface like a cork - completely weightless.
The water is absolutely hygienically clean and
- The water in the tank is thoroughly filtered and Ozonated
after each float, leaving it completely clean and sterile. It is fitted with air
vents, which ensure that there is always plenty of fresh air to breath.
The entire experience is completely
private and secure. After a thorough briefing, you are left on your own to
prepare for the float, and let yourself into the tank.
Before the float, you will have a luxurious shower
and wash off any creams, hair products, dry skin
Towels, soap etc are provided at Cloud 9, so you do not have to
bring any of these with you.
- (Most people float naked: a costume would become heavy with
salt, creating a sensation on your body that will distract you while you float.)
- Before entering the tank, smear Vaseline on any cuts so that
they do not sting with the salt. We also suggest that you remove jewelry before
going into the tank.
- A set of disposable ear plugs are provided. Water in your ears
can be unpleasant after you have left the tank. We recommend you rinse your ears
thoroughly when you shower again after the float
You let yourself into and out of the tank. You are
in complete control of the entire float experience
- Still wet, (except for you face, which we recommend you dry
thoroughly) you will enter the tank pulling the door closed behind you.
is a small light inside the tank which you can control from inside. We recommend
that you turn it off when you have settled in.
body is completely supported by the water.
- Once you are in the tank, settle back into the water. Don't
attempt to hold your head up, just relax your entire body and let your head fall
back completely in the water - your face will not go under, and holding your
head up will only create tension in your neck muscles.
- The standard commercial float is 1 hour long, although it is
possible to float for as long as you like without any ill
You are eased into the float on a gentle cloud of
- Music will play for the first 10 min of the hour,
it helps you to relax and get comfortable in the tank. Thereafter, 45 min of
complete silence. For the last 5 min the music will come on again to gently
bring you back to earth and let you
know that the float is over.
- Do not be concerned about sleeping through the music, it will
become progressively louder until it wakes you up.
- Most people listen to music at the beginning and end of the float. Some people like to float with music the entire
time. It is up you.
The last 5 min of music brings you gently back to
- When the music comes on again, you can take a little time to
ground yourself, you will find that you are so physically relaxed that you need
to find your muscles again. When you are ready, you will stand up, wipe off
the excess salty water, and amble off to the shower.
- Ideally, you should give yourself a chance to enjoy the
effects of the float (which are numerous) rather then rushing off to a busy